Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 1: Arrival in Delhi, India

We have just arrived to India (well actually a couple of hours ago but you catch my drift)…yay!!!

Today was a very eventful day trying to get to India. First off, we arrived at JFK about 7:30 am. Our flight was scheduled to leave around 10:40 am but left at 11:30 am (which from what I heard is a very usual thing as these flights are never really on time). As we boarded the plane, the excitement starts to rise with the prospect of our new adventure but as the plane takes off, and the hours begin to pass, the excitement dwindles down and becomes more tiresome then interesting; I mean seriously, how much excitement can you hold on a 12ish hour flight? Even with a pretty view like I had, sitting near the window, the ride became exhausting.

(Flying way above the clouds)

(Arriving in Dubai, you can see more sand then actual structures as opposed to the concrete while leaving NY)

During my 12 hour flight, besides watching movies and failing continuously in my attempts to fall asleep I learned a few things about India by reading a few chapters of India Unbound by Gurcharan Das. My perspective of India before reading the few first chapters of Das’s book mainly came from Bollywood movies like Bride & Prejudice (1999) and even Slumdog Millionaire (2008). In these movies India is portrayed as an underdeveloped country full of struggles which it can’t get out of but also a country full of life, color and determination. Upon reading, there was a section that really struck me in determining what I should expect from my trip to India. Guracharan Das writes, “The Econimist has been trying, with some frustration, to paint stripes on India since 1991. It doesn't realize that India will never be a tiger. It is an elephant that has begun to lumber and move ahead. It will never have speed, but it will always have stamina.” In other words, India runs on longevity and its ability to endure and that even though it doesn't go as fast as the rest of the other surrounding countries, it will eventually get there. Another important thing that these words told me was that I should get rid of my expectancy and just start from scratch.

After our connecting flight (which we almost missed) in Dubai, I believe the struggle of the day really began. Since the first flight (JFK to Dubai) was late, we only had a few minutes to catch the 2nd plane and in between this transition, some of our luggage didn't make it on the plane. Myself and four other students are the unfortunates to not have our luggage with us at this time.

Moving on, upon leaving the airport, India seems very foggy and over polluted to me. While driving to the hotel, you can see many stray dogs (which  bums me out because I am an animal lover) but you also see an underdeveloped nation with a whole lot of security. In a sense, while looking out the window, India reminds me so much of Dominican Republic except that the roads in DR are bad but the pollution is less. The little bits of India that I saw today show me that India needs to improve greatly. It isn't what I expected but there is so much more to see and learn that I am truly still excited.

As of right now, our 1st day has ended. We have all ate, become extremely sleepy and I and my other four classmates, are still without luggage. Oh well I guess we must always expect the unexpected when starting a new adventure.

(Upon leaving the airport)

(In this picture you can kind of see the foogynes/pollution/smugness in the air.)
(I took this picture because I found it interesting how everyone just sits down wherever they want without a care. This picture was on the road towards the hotel.)
(Arriving at the hotel. The hotel is gated as well as many of the really nice looking places around. Seems like its own little secluded area.)


(Jessica & I)

1 comment:

  1. Eleana...love your take on our first day. I appreciate your insight from the India Unbound book as well..never thought about that quote too much, but now that you have highlighted it, it fits right in with the three Ps we learned about at the American Center.

    ReplyDelete